June 23, 2011

The World of Bridal - Seamstress

While living in the United Kingdom I was introduced to the high-stress, fast-paced world of BRIDAL. At the bridal boutique, A Day to Remember, my duties involved:

  • Independently fit gowns to client's specifications and satisfaction. 
  • Carried out complicated alterations with a high-level of accuracy. Alterations included: hemming (bagged-out hems, rolled hems), lace application, beadwork, and converting zippers to lace-up closures with a modesty panel.  
  • Steamed and pressed gowns in preparation for pick-up.
  • Required to function efficiently and consistently in a high-stress environment within tight time restraints.

Hem completed by me. Under dress was a bagged out hem. Over dress, I removed the lace and re-appliqued it at the new length. I really enjoyed this type of detailed work and was very fast at it. In the shop, I became the seamstress that altered all the lace gowns because of my high quality work.
Me in the boutique, most likely waiting for a fitting appointment.
My own work space at the shop.